Re: In the Bloody Wake of "Thanksgiving 99"

From: Ian Gibson (igibson@hkucc.hku.hk)
Date: Thu Dec 09 1999 - 03:28:48 EET

Tim

It doesn't look like the smoke has cleared just yet.

Thanks for the message, and I agree with your sentiments - to some extent.
I would like to share a few thoughts though:-

- the Aaroflex debate is one of the few threads I followed all the way
through on rp-ml recently.
- I too have been on rp-ml for around 5 years, but I look to it for
different reasons from you, being (mostly) an academic and not an
industrialist.
- separating the wheat from the chaff is a process that happens whenever
individuals with different perspectives come into contact.
- I for one am generally irritated by the friday humour that seems to be
rife at the moment, but I wouldn't try to stop it; it is part of the whole
and we should give some people their way now and again since they also
contribute something of value at times.
- rp-ml is about big pictures and little pictures, big people and little
people, don't get annoyed because some people have little to say and spend
a lot of time saying it.
- you have stayed with rp-ml. Has it changed that much? You obviously value
it. It's success is guaged by the number of subscribers and contributers.
If it were no good, then there would be fewer of both. Don't throw the baby
out with the bathwater.
- I could go on but I won't.

IG

Dr. Ian Gibson
Associate Professor
Department of Mechanical Engineering
The University of Hong Kong
tel: (852) 28597901
fax: (852) 28585415
mobile: (852) 98738281
igibson@hkucc.hku.hk

I don't need pleasure, I can't feel pain
If you were to knock me down, I'd just get up again
- Urban Spaceman, Bonzo Dog Doodah Band