From: Charly Fruth (fruth@t-online.de)
Date: Thu Dec 16 1999 - 15:08:20 EET

Hello RP LIST,

Thanks to all who give me information about eXtended Formats.

There had been about ten responds.
It was a little funny to me, because no respond had STL as real basic.

I know about the limitations of the STL- format, but all of you have to
see that the format is industrie standard.
I don´t belive that there is a real way to give a new standard in
limited time.
The first RP Machines that can work with different colors or materials
are going to market.

In my opinion it would be the best for the buissness to have one format:
Imagine: 10 years ago 3D-System patend the STL-Format; Do you think that
RP-Buisness would be where it is today?. Do you think all CAD Vendors
integrate a STL-Format for 3D a XYZ format for DTM a XZZ- Format for
Cubital, a ...-Format for ...-Company.
It will cost to much to bring a new format.
STL- Format has also big advantages:
1. Public
2. Available in nearly all Systems
3. Easy to use
4. Flexible in use
I could imagine to define an easy Extension:
We could use the SOLID keyword. SOLID INSIDE will define an area in the
part with special specifications, like SOLID INSIDE Ccolor
Mmaterial,...
This could be ease because everybody could use STL like before. If there
is a CAD System they can use the new extension. A filter could seperate
SOLIDS with the new extension.

All of this is only possible if many peoble will say IT IS OKAY.

I know that this is not the best solution, but as I do in buissnes -
RAPID not BEST.

What are you thinking about?

Best regards,

Charly