Re: Coleman & Associates - Ballpark

From: Bathsheba Grossman (sheba@bathsheba.com)
Date: Mon Dec 20 1999 - 11:39:54 EET

On Fri, 17 Dec 1999, RW Coleman wrote:
> I have been contacted about creating crystal
> model of the ball park model we built last year.
> Requested size: 18" X 16" X 6" ht., aprox 1:30 scale.
> For images see:
> http://www.coleman-associates.com/ballpark.html
>
> Is lead crystal cast?

I've seen it done, but it's not easy to get a lot of detail. You
could rough in the bleachers, but I doubt if you could get tiny
players to scale.

> Is this an application for a SLA master burnt out of a ceramic mold?

Beats me, but I hope you'll post if you succeed in doing it.

> PS. I saw the article below in Architectural Record where Terry Wohlers
> claims,
> "A model that would fit in a six inch cube would cost about $100."
> Can this be true?
> I find it hard to believe that file clean up and SLA services are this
> cheap.
> He also failed to mention post process finishing.

If you supply clean files, do your own post-processing, and buy at the
cheap end of the scale (I believe that's still ZCorp, or ThermoJet if
you can use a part with hair on one side of it), it's _almost_ true.

But if you own your own machine, I expect it's better than true.

-Sheba
Bathsheba Grossman (831) 429-8224
Digital Sculpture http://www.bathsheba.com