Re: RE: Terminology debate again

From: Nick Osborn (Nick@swiftech.co.uk)
Date: Wed Jan 19 2000 - 16:26:28 EET

Dear Marshall / Brock / List

I agree that we need a clear, simple and cohesive terminology for RP / RT - we have all tried explaining the various processes to laypeople and watched the dreaded "eye glaze" of information overload / total non-comprehension set in at one time or another.

However, this is a deceptively complex task and I have no instant solutions to offer, only suggestions.

Let's consider definitions:

Dictionary:
Fabricate - 1. to make, build, or construct 2. to devise or concoct 3. to fake or forge

Thesaurus:
Fabricate - 1. assemble, build, construct, erect, fashion, form, frame, make, manufacture, shape 2. coin, concoct, devise, fake, falsify, feign, forge, form, invent, make up, trump up

As can be seen from the above, whilst Marshall's choice of "fabricator" (or fabber for short) has a great deal of relevancy (and lends itself to abbreviation easily) it is clearly also open to misinterpretation.

One of the problems with terms like "Creator" and "Maker" is that, once again, the margin for misinterpretation and even quasi-religious overtones is considerable...imagine calling a bio-material compatible, medical grade RP machine of the future (used for building human body parts for example) "The Creator"...oh dear...

"Personal Factory" and "Matter Compiler" are other phrases that have been mentioned in the past - personally I favour something simpler, like maybe "Reality Machine" or how about "Realizer"....?

I can't help feeling that if we, as an industry, can't think of a decent name for all this, then it's not surprising we have problems in communicating the potential benefits to accountants, CEOs, etc.

Any further suggestions welcome...

Nick

Nick Osborn
Managing Director
Swift Technologies Ltd.
140 - 144 Station Road, March,
Cambs. PE15 8NH, UK

"Real Parts Real Quick - Because Time Is Money"

Tel: +44 (0) 1354 650 789
Fax: +44 (0) 1354 650 799
www.swiftech.co.uk

>>> "Brock Hinzmann" <bhinzmann@sric.sri.com> 24/06/79 19:27:03 >>>
Actually, I have always found fabber, fabricator, and even automated
fabrication to be more misleading than rapid prototyping or RP in describing
the current state of the art and I often wonder why Marshall continues to
use it. Automated Fabrication is a great goal, an application, but
certainly a lot of other technologies and equipment already do and will continue
to fill that application, albeit each with its own limitations as well.

I agree with Marshall's sentiment, in that some other term is desirable
to describe that revolutionary machine of the future, where cost-effective
automated fabrication of totally arbitrary one-off items is possible, but
the person or company that invents that machine is likely to get to name
it, like Xerox and Coke.

I like Marshall's enthusiasm, and creativity in general, and I would like
him to continue pushing the thinking in the industry, but I sometimes
wonder if he isn't beating a dead horse named Fabber.

Brock Hinzmann
technology navigator