Re: Scan to IGES

From: Steve Farentinos (steve@pmli.com)
Date: Wed Jan 19 2000 - 17:55:46 EET

We use a product called Draftsman from Arbor Image Software. It has many tools
for cleaning up the scanned data while converting to IGES or many other
formats. However, I have to agree with Andy's statement. On any job I'm
getting paid for, I have always used the resulting iges geometry as a "tracing
template" over which I recreate the curves in the native CAD environment.
While retracing, you can adjust the geometry to match critical dimensions and
when you're finished, you have a parametrically editable model. For many parts,
it's easier to build the geometry from scratch and skip the scanning.

ATiburon@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 1/18/00 5:42:13 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> johnp@jppattern.com writes:
>
> << I use Corel 8 to convert bitmaps to dxf output. >>
> Then of course you need another program to convert the dxf into IGES since
> many high end CAD programs don't import dxf and of the ones that do, well you
> will find that there are many flavors of DXF. The problem is that if you zoom
> into the converted file you will see most likely an unusable zig zag pattern
> where the bit maps go around a curve for example. Then you will just pick
> some of the points and reconstruct the geometry using lines, arcs, splines
> etc. that are available on your CAD system. And wondering if it was worth all
> the bother. That at least is my experience so far.
> Andy Scott
> Lockheed Martin Aero Sys

Steve Farentinos
PML, Inc.