RE: Solar in RP's future?

From: Manfred Hofmann (m.hofmann@rpc.ch)
Date: Mon Jan 31 2000 - 09:15:27 EET

New ideas are always welcome!

I think the concept of using the natural energy source is quite tempting (it would be even more so for UV lasers where the kW-hour runs more in the $ 10000 range). As you mention, the focus of concentrated sunlight would not be as tight as for a laser (and you would have to correct for fluctuating intensity and solar position) but where it would really pay off is in large prototypes (boat hulls, construction etc).
If you count on about 1 kW per square meter, don't forget to add a broadband absorber to the sinter material.
Take an old CNC mill or laser cutter and show a proof-of principal.

Regards

Manfred Hofmann Phone: +41 26 439-9595
Rapid Prototyping Chemicals Fax: +41 26 439-9599
P.O. Box 259
CH-1723 Marly, Switzerland e-mail m.hofmann@rpc.ch