Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) packages

From: Blasch, Larry (LBlasch@OPW-FC.com)
Date: Tue Feb 01 2000 - 16:34:43 EET

To: List

I am investigating various Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) packages for
integration into my engineering design process and I was interested in the
opinions of users.
I will need to analyze both compressible and incompressible fluids and the
flows may be trans-sonic.

1) What packages have people been using and with what CAD software?
2) How reliable are the results?
3) What do they cost?
4) How long a learning curve?
5) do you need a PhD to use it?

I am using a Parasolid based modeling package with ANSYS FEA at present. I
need to be able to pass models between all these programs.

Thanks in advance,

Lawrence R. Blasch
Design Engineer
CAE Systems Administrator