Re: Selective Solar Sintering

From: Engineering Dept. (proto@prototechengineering.com)
Date: Tue Feb 01 2000 - 19:01:27 EET

The only problem with trying to use all of the material already existing in
orbit is the fact that it is traveling at extremely high velocities. Trying to
catch a piece of "shrapnel" traveling at many hundreds of miles per hour is next
to impossible with our current technologies. This "shrapnel" is already the
number one reason we lose satellites and have orbital collision problems now.
While I agree that it would be a tremendous benefit if we could use those
components, it would probably end up being more cost effective to just go
straight to the moon!?!?

"Spielman, Roger L" wrote:

> Larry...
> You are absolutely right. There exists a wealth of materials already out
> there, whether we put them there, or they already exist just floating
> around. I know Marshall Burns has looked into this as well as some of the
> NASA folks.
> Could we have yet another RP process?...subtractive/additive...trash
> pickup/replacement....waste management...Opitmization and Replacement of
> Expensive Objects (OREO)???
>
> What a blast
>
> Rog

Dave Lewis