RE: Best STL Repair Tools

From: Dan Davis (ddavis@theamericanteam.com)
Date: Fri Feb 04 2000 - 15:54:21 EET

Terry,

I see that nearly all the responses were for Solid Works. As Doug Mitchell stated, most have only a limited budget and have used only one tool. Soild Works was the first on the market and marketed well to the US user making it the logical choice.

I am lucky and have used both Solid Works and Magics RP. I have to vote for Magics. The biggest difference IMHO is that the user interface is more friendly and intuitive. Also, automatic repair functions are available with one mouse click. The importable file size seems to be unlimited as long as you have a powerful enough computer to shorten the processing time. I have imported a 50Mb STL file from scan data with no problems (it did take 15+ minutes to load however). The shelling, boolean and slicing options are top-notch and the tooling package is handy. Naturally, YMMV.

Cheers,
Dan