Re: Ceramic Prototypes

From: Fusioneng@aol.com
Date: Fri Feb 11 2000 - 07:52:00 EET

Jim ;
I'm not familiar with your particular application but I have a couple things
you might look into to solve your problem. The first solution is high speed
CNC. We do quite a bit of machining of prototype parts in thermoset
materials. You can get the material in sheet form. We then program as many
parts as will fit on that sheet. Our Makino A77 CNC machine has 2 pallets
with 8 working surfaces and can easily machine hundreds of complex parts in a
day. In plastics you can often cut the majority of the part at 500-1000
inches per minute. I don't know what the feed rates would be on Macor. But
with the new diamond and carbide tooling available today pretty much anything
can be machined. Make sure you have good dust collection even with a totally
enclosed machine you wouldn't want to breath the dust. The sheets are held to
the working surface with double stick tape so the parts won't fly off on your
last cut. Our machines is mostly used to cut hardened steel mould cavities
(Rc-52-54) so I can't imagine anything that couldn't be cut. I'm sure there
are CNC shops (check mould shops) in your area that could help you out. I'm
not offering a sevice (we don't have any open capacity ourselves) only a
suggestion.
  My other thought would be to have a wax mould made of your part and have
your parts investment cast somehow in some type of ceramics. This is not my
area of expertise so I'm sure someone else will jump in here and explain how
to do it properly.
 My two cents
Bob Morton
Fusion Engineering

In a message dated 2/10/00 4:18:35 PM Central Standard Time,