RE: Silicone rubber tooling for inj. molding

From: Pattison, Will (WPattison@Ignition.com)
Date: Fri Feb 25 2000 - 16:22:33 EET

albright is definitely an interesting option. he actually builds a hybrid
silicon/aluminum tool by hogging the rough core and cavity out of an
aluminum billet, then casting a silicon "glove mold" around the master
pattern much like you would for urethane parts. because the wall thickness
of the silicon is supposed to be constant at around 1/4", the silicon tools
not only demold easier, but should last longer. also cheaper and quicker to
replace when the heat of injection finally kills 'em. the aluminum around
the silicon is what handles the injection pressure. this of course, is the
theory...

i've had him quote some stuff, but never actually seen any parts. let me
know how it goes if you do it.

will pattison, idsa
product development engineer
ignition