Fire

From: Steven (themissinglink@eznetinc.com)
Date: Sat Feb 26 2000 - 01:24:05 EET

I had a fire at my house on January 9 of this year. Most everything was
burned or smoke damaged. My electronics, however, are being restored. I am
of the understanding that the smoke is very corrosive to electronics. The
place that took in all my PC's and home electronics told me that it is
imperative that the smoke be cleaned fairly quickly to avoid corrosion of
the electronics.

Due to the difficulties of insurance and the high cost estimate to repair my
Sanders ModelMakerII, nothing has been done yet. The insurance company now
wants to go ahead with the repairs as they are about 1/3 the cost of a new
machine. Sanders is likewise confident even though they say they have never
done fire restoration. I am concerned that the machine may well be fixed
without replacement of the electronics which have now sat for over a month
with this grimy soot on it but that I may have trouble down the road. Even
with a warranty, these machines are difficult to ship back for repairs.

Does anyone know of any literature which details the issues surrounding
smoke damage to electronics? Of course I would just as soon have a new unit
and not risk having trouble down the road which I may not be able to
attribute to the smoke damage.

Much thanks for any help.

Steven Pollack