Re: topo proto

From: Delft Spline Systems (info@spline.nl)
Date: Wed Mar 01 2000 - 11:32:14 EET

At 08:07 AM 3/1/00 +0200, Greg Ernster wrote:
>I am interested in having a topographical prototype built of a subsurface
map.
>... Would it be better for me to pursue a
>topographical prototype using StereoLithography (SLA), Laminated Object
>Modelling (LOM) or Selective Laser Sintering (SLS)?

For creating 3D maps the easiest technology available is CNC milling:
a typical map does not contain undercuts (regions that cannot be accessed
by a cutting tool coming from above). I just assume that this applies to a
'subsurface map" (whatever it is) as well.
It will be the cheapest solutions, offering a free choice of material, a
smooth
surface finish and large sizes in case needed.

>Unfortunately all of the geologic mapping applications I have access to
are not
>capable of creating STL or IGES formated files.
>The closest format I have been able to get is: 1) xyz grid data for the top
>surface, 2) DXF (2D only), or 3) VRML.
>Is it possible to convert these files into a format that I can send to a
>manufacturing firm and have a prototype built? (My preferred option is to
use
>the VRML file.)

This is a nice coincidence !! :-)
Our DeskProto software for Rapid Prototyping by CNC milling does accept
VRML files for geometry input (layer oriented RP systems do not, as
they need watertight models that VRML cannot guarantee).

Do download the free DeskProto trial version and give it a try with your
own geometry files. If yes, you can contact any local modelshop using
a CNC milling machine or CNC router to do the job for you.
Feel free to email for assistance if needed.

A good place to get a better feeling for this technology is the upcoming
Rapid Prototyping and Manufacturing show in Rosemont (Chicago) in
April (see www.sme.org/rapid). All RP system manufacturers will be
exhibiting, you can find us at booth 1017 (Yeah !)

Looking forward to meeting you all,

Best Regards,

Lex Lennings.

Delft Spline Systems, The Netherlands.
We offer DeskProto: affordable Rapid Prototyping using CNC milling.

mailto:info@spline.nl --- website: http://www.deskproto.com