Re: Mass customization

From: SiderWhite (SiderWhite@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Thu Mar 09 2000 - 08:37:24 EET

Marshall:

HBR (Harvard Business Review) has been preaching this for a long time now.
First we went to mass production which focused on lowering costs by
producing more. Now we are entering into a process of mass customization
which allows us to gain the cost efficiencies of mass production but returns
us to the world of "tailor-made".

I can see a world where you log onto a web site and select the style of
pants you want (of course the web site knows your exact dimensions, so you
don't have to worry about them fitting). Then the web site connects you to a
fabric store where you get to choose from 1,000's of fabrics and styles.
Lastly, you get to choose accessories (left pocket, no pocket, zipper,
button, cuffed, non-cuffed, etc...) As you make your selections and verify
the last detail, the fabric is already on its way to a local seam facility
which will receive an electronic pattern to your specifications. Once the
inventory is in the product is produced, packaged, and shipped to you in
less than a day. The whole process took approx. 2 days, cost only $40, and
it matches your expectations 100%.

Here here for the brave new economy!

-Glenn Whiteside