Re: Question laser-liftime SLS

From: Timothy J. Gornet (tim.gornet@louisville.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 20 2000 - 18:09:28 EET

Jorn,

the SLS equipment uses CO2 lasers. We have had an SLS2000 since November of 1993 with a 50W laser. According to DTM the lasers lose about 10% of their power per year. However, most all of the plastic materials we run at 4-12 W on our SLS2000. The metals material runs at 20W. We have not had a laser failure and still use the machine almost daily.

Even with the 10% drop, normally you are using such a small percentage of the overall laser power it is really not noticed. The power curves for the laser are recalculated when DTM does their maintenance.I do not know the absolute life of one of the lasers though.

The new SLS2500plus machine also have a 50W with a 100W option. Ours has the 50W and we use 12-16W for plastic materials and 30W for metals. The SLS2500plus can scan much faster so higher laser powers are required.

The DTM metals products have used a thermoset binder material in the powder to hold the metal particles together until post processing in a furnace. I believe that the EOS is melting a metal material system. I think that they use a 200W CO2 laser.

Tim

.

Tim Gornet Computer Aided Engineering Consultant
INTERNET: tim.gornet@louisville.edu
SLUGNET: Vogt Bldg. Rm 101, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY 40292
PHONENET: (502)852-0714 FAXNET: (502)852-8890
Rapid Prototype Facility

>>> "JBVentures" <info@jbventures.nl> 03/20 7:28 AM >>>
I regulary read messages about laser-change or power-loss on lasers wich are used for stereolithography. Are lasers wich are used for SLS also subject to change after functioning for a certain period? If so, what is the lifecycle of an 'SLS-laser'; If not, why not?

Does DTM apply another kind of laser system than EOS (?); DTM claims to handle many materials (polymers and metals) on one machine where as EOS has different machines for each type of use/material (P & M series machines)

Thak you in advance for your reply, with kind regards,

Jorn Berends
JB Ventures BV - the Netherlands