Re: Search for Special Mold Frames for Mold Inserts made by RT

From: Douglas A. VanPutte (vanputtd@frontiernet.net)
Date: Mon Mar 27 2000 - 18:41:33 EEST

There are several "universal" mold bases or frames for prototype and
production applications, but I am not aware of any that are specifically for
rapid tooling. At Kodak, the shops used several sizes of the Master Unit
Dies (MUD bases) and the Roundmate from Pleasant Precision. Both are
designed to allow interchange of a die containing the core, cavity, and
ejection system while the mold base remains mounted on the molding machine
platens.

I would certainly not describe the Hofmann frame used for Space Puzzle
Molding(R) as "inconvenient" to use. In fact, it is far more flexible and
"convenient" to use than the universal bases mentioned above for prototype
or very low volume production. Any Hofmann frame is flexible for a series of
mold sizes and there are six frame sizes to choose from as determined by
your molding machine size. A Space Puzzle Mold is simply loaded into the
frame mounted on the molding machine and the mold is automatically
"captured" accurately and rigidly by the frame as the platens close to mold
a part. However, to purchase and utilize one or more Hofmann frames for
Space Puzzle Molding, a license must be secured from Protoform North America
(http://www.protoformna.com) in the U.S. and Canada, and Protoform GmbH
(http://www.protoform.com) outside North America.

Considering rapid tools, I have found the Space Puzzle Mold and the Hofmann
frame are ideally suited to get the most out of these tools. They allow us
to produce molded parts with far greater complexity and in greater numbers
than a conventional core and cavity arrangement used in a universal mold
base or a convention mold base.

--
-Doug

Douglas A. VanPutte Senior Sales Representative Protoform(R) North America 18 Cross Bow Drive Rochester, NY 14624-4710 Tel: 716-889-3601 Fax: 716-889-7335 Cell: 716-329-1308 Email: vanputtd@frontiernet.net Web: http://www.frontiernet.net/~vanputtd

---------- >From: "Chang-Shik Min" <mcs9413@hotmail.com> >To: rp-ml@bart.lpt.fi >Subject: Search for Special Mold Frames for Mold Inserts made by RT >Date: Fri, Mar 24, 2000, 8:55 AM >