Shoe lasts

From: Neil Hopkinson (nhopkins@dmu.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Mar 31 2000 - 16:07:52 EEST

we have only had the KIRA machine for a few weeks but have made a number of
parts so I will tell you as much as I can.

We built shoe lasts creating an A4 sized block which was about 135 mm high,
weighed 8 kg and took 12 hours to build plus 3 hours finishing.

The problem to avoid is undercuts as they are dificult to release after
building however treads on shoe soles should be ok.

An advantage with KIRA is that you can choose where to put your parting
lines which means an experienced user reduces his finishing time.

    Neil Hopkinson

    Rapid Manufacturing Research Group
    Department of Mechanical & Manufacturing Eng
    De Montfort University
    Queens Building, The Gateway,
    Leicester,
    LE1 9BH,