RE: thoughts on CAD translation errors

From: James Carruthers (jim@hydraulicdesign.net)
Date: Sat Apr 01 2000 - 06:08:02 EEST

Hi,

Hmmmmm...not really. For one thing, CAD programs don't use meshes anymore,
except for meshes derived from the model for on-screen rendering, FEA, and
export to STL or DXF, etc. Meshes are not very sophisticated, and after the
job I just finished horsing around with meshing for STL, I think I'm going
to make it my mission in life to wipe them from the face of the Earth, but I
digress. In the graphics world, you can transfer them from one program to
another with no errors to speak of(bugs aside,)keeping all the smoothing
info, texture mapping coordinates, and even animation and texture mapping
properites ("shaders") fully intact. There's no reason whatsoever to expect
that a certain percentage of the polygons aren't going to translate. That
would require extremely sloppy programming, or something like JPEG
compression(speaking of which, have you seen what JPEG2000 is supposed to be
able to do? Holy cow!)

It's a bit different with "CAD" files, but not so much. What's stored in a
file are a bunch of numbers that are parameters to be plugged into the
equations that describe the surfaces that comprise an object(even if the
program is not "parametric" per se.) Again, it's not like you're going to
lose track of some of those numbers as you move from one program to another.
The problems when translating through IGES or whatever (or "direct" through
a plug-in or whatever) have to do with what types of entities the file type
and program support, and tolerance issues. (Of course this is in an ideal
situation, bugs aside, most translation problems are simply bugs.) Either
they work just fine, they don't translate at all, or they have to go through
some processing to work in the new program, which will result in not exactly
the geometry you started with. I read once that writing and reading IGES
files is like taking a beautiful peice of liturature, translating it into a
language with only 100 words, and then trying to get back to the original
work. And then there are the tolerance issues where the destination program
might not be smart enough to deal with what another program considers
acceptable tolerances, and how the inherent limitations of doing math on a
computer might cause tolerances to 'stack up' in all those numbers at they
get processed again and again going from program to program(though you'd
have to be hopping around quite a lot, and be dealing with some really tiny
stuff to notice it.) Note, the 'tolerance' setting in IGES or whatever
doesn't have any effect on the actual coordiantes in the file, they're
always stored to the same precision, it's just a value for the downstream
program's reference. Anyway, I think you get the idea.

Jim
James Carruthers
Hydraulic Design
--3D Modeling and Design