STL files - "totally unusable" ?

From: Vesna Cota (vcota@rpmv.com)
Date: Fri Apr 14 2000 - 22:06:18 EEST

Hello Jorn and all the others,

I have been reading and listening about this "totally unusable STL files
from AutoCAD and Mechanical Desktop" for years and can't stop wondering
what's going on. I have been creating STL files from AutoCAD since its first
solid modeling extension AME became available. In all those years I seldom
had any problems.

I am using Mechanical Desktop now along with ProE, and you couldn't tell
which one I used to create the STL file. With AutoCAD it is very important
to set your facetres variable to a high value (default is 0.5, highest is
10, I never go below 8). With Mechanical Desktop I still use the AutoCAD
STLOUT command ( which means I explode my parts to make them genuine AutoCAD
solids ), mainly because the MDT amstlout command creates ASCII files and I
prefer smaller and cleaner binary output.
Obviously, once a bad stl file is created it takes much more effort to fix
it ( if possible at all) and it is difficult to know how it compares to the
original part if you don't have both. Before attempting to fix the STL file,
try to create a better STL output.

I never had any problems with metric parts, but it did happen with imperial
units. Because of the settings in AutoCAD, when working in inches the max
facetres setting of 10 may be too small and triangles may end up too big to
represent small radii, making them either disappear or turn into chamfers.
In those cases I would scale up the model (25.4 times as an example, but it
could be 100 or anything else as needed), create the STL output and let the
RP supplier know that the model is scaled up. He would scale the STL output
of the part down and keep the definition at the same time. It's not as
straight forward as typing stlout, but it works every time.

Another option may be to export the SAT file ( acisout in AutoCAD, amacisout
in Mechanical Desktop). Acis file can be imported in many other CAD packages
and the STL file can be exported from there. I never had to use this
approach. The acis file can be checked out using the ACIS viewer from
Spatial Technologies. Great tool, by the way!

If the Acis output doesn't work, I would suspect the part has a flaw.
Ultimately, it boils down to the poor design approach. And that will
generally have more to do with the training of the user than with the
software itself. ... which is a whole new story.

AutoCAD users may need more information regarding generation of good stl
files and some help if it doesn't work out. Hopefully this will provide a
bit of it.

I just started testing the Autodesk Inventor. I'll let you know how it
works.

Regards,
Vesna

Vesna Cota