Re: Patent in RP

From: B. J. Arnold-Feret (ppsltd@airmail.net)
Date: Mon Apr 24 2000 - 11:58:16 EEST

While I agree that patents can be used in a negative manner, doesn't it make
sense for firms that spend the money and time to develop an idea and process
to protect those ideas and processes for a time period so that they can
realize monetary gain for their investments? And, if you are going to have
the patents, you need to defend them aggressively or they are not worth the
fees required to get them.

As we all know, development is not cheap. While we may all be coming down
on 3D and other RP firms for doing the patent protection as a marketing
tactic, would any of us be so generous to share a revolutionary development
that could earn lots of dollars for investors if we had to spend a sum to
perfect it in the first place?

As Elaine and others noted, the RP world and users don't share processing,
tips or techniques at RP&M anymore. To expect manufacturing firms to
"share" their technology for the good of the industry may be the pot calling
the kettle black. The majority of firms and individuals in business need to
make profits.

B. J. Arnold-Feret
ppstld@airmail.net
PaRTS