voting time

From: Elaine Hunt (ehunt@ces.clemson.edu)
Date: Thu May 04 2000 - 16:41:42 EEST

Please pick your top five (5) wishes and return them to me not to the
entire list.

Set RPML netique rules
RPML would move to a sorted/categorized list so that users could register
as targets for selective subjects
RP materials same as production materials
Promote the technology in the area of innovations, i.e. Move shows to CA or NY
Sell to innovators first, then manufacturing will follow
Get a course to hypnotist traditional toolmakers so they realize that RP*T
is crucial for their survival
Get to Rapid Manufacturing ASAP customer wants products not tools
Standards for Benchmarking materials (mechanical properties, temperature
limitations, costs) and machine capabilities (build speed, volumetric build
rates, operating costs)
One_button touch rapid manufacturing of multi=material products
Effective collaboration between R&D Institutes to achieve about mentioned wish
Wider variety of materials
Production machines
Intelligent materials (multi-layers, composites)
Production parts
Development in Material and Process for modeling of design and
manufacturing items
The creation of a new group that links the CAD/CAE, tooling industry and RP
together
Focus on the education of the family, children, parents, and grandparents
in the new technologies to advance RP.
RP Process that creates a true living hinge part (PP)
Direct Metal process for small feature tooling with tight tolerance control.
RPMLers would be less enthusiastic about public flaming those who post
messages.
Create a library for different subjects like 3D printing, tooling, material
that can be accesses even for olde discussions.
Fast parts for functional test (e.g. engine manifolds, heads, auto
transmission impeller)
Fast tools for stamping sheet metal parts (e.g. fenders, automotive hoods)
Far better CAD tools (organic shapes)
More cultural/racial/gender diversity in the industry
Employment/placement tools (better than current)
Profitable cooperation
Direct AL or Mg metal parts from machine
Please don't comment on bad etiquette more than one time preferably not at all
Engineering like materials from RP systems
What do people think about Objet?
Realistic Functional resins in a timely manner
Realistic and fair prices for equipment and resins
Need Website Phone directory for information (experts, users, suppliers, etc)
I wish for even more quickly made patterns with ever finer resolution and
surface finish from the "solidify droplets of wax-like material placed onto
succeeding layers" processes, for my investment casting processes.
"RP to produce 'real' assemblies in one go with
'real' tolerances+surface-finish
  'real' materials and 'real' color".
I wish for ever finer polystyrene powders placed in ever thinner layers
and wax impregnated from the "glue succeeding layers of powder
together" processes, which would provide me with ever finer resolution and
surface finish, and even more quickly made, patterns for my investment
casting processes.
Make the list archive searchable.
Cross-vendor library of case studies to show best practice / proven process
chains (including time & cost savings comparison with previous method) to
spell out real benefits of RP&T to non-RP people
RP-ML website to store all the other great ideas mentioned - friendlier to
access than the archives
Slicing as an integrated module/function of 3D-CAD-SW
Slicing of native CAD-files/formats
Consumer" RP-machine
Standardized benchmark/test part (RP-machine independent)
Standardized testing methods (RP-machine independent)
Unified quality standards and/or parameter (RP-machine independent)
- Easier, cheaper 3D-CAD-SW

Opinions, suggestions, and other controversial matter VOID where prohibited.
Elaine T. Hunt, Director elaine.hunt@ces.clemson.edu
Laboratory to Advance Industrial Prototyping
Clemson University 206 Fluor Daniel Bldg.
Clemson, SC 29634-0925
864-656-0321 (voice) 864-656-4435 (fax)
http://www.vr.clemson.edu/credo/persall/persall.html
http://www.vr.clemson.edu/rp/