Re: .STL from IDEAS

From: Keith Nybakke (knybakke@nuhill.com)
Date: Thu May 11 2000 - 11:07:33 EEST

Jan and everyone,

I tested the isoline density with my system: I-DEAS Master Series 7m1 on
IRIX 6.5.4.

My results confirm that changing the isoline density has the desired effect
on the STL faceting.

Example 1: sphere constructed via the revolve function; radius = 2"
RP output set to facet deviation of .0004"

Isoline Density = 0; facet count = 13,992
Isoline Density = 2; facet count = 29,424
Isoline Density = 4; facet count = 40,872

Example 2: sphere constructed from the catalog; radius = 2"
RP output set to facet deviation of .0004"

Isoline Density = 0; facet count = 12,976
Isoline Density = 2; facet count = 32,528
Isoline Density = 4; facet count = 36,448

I observe that adjusting the isoline density has a significant effect on
the faceted representation of a solid sphere using the I-DEAS software.

As a side note, the facet counts are different for the two spheres of the
same diameter. The construction technique probably uses the geometry engine
in slightly different ways for the revolved versus the primitive part.

Regards,
Keith Nybakke