Re: manufacturing biomaterials

From: William D. Richards (wdr@virtcon.com)
Date: Tue May 16 2000 - 00:57:36 EEST

At 6:38 PM +0100 5/15/00, Nuno Reis wrote:
>Dear List,
>
>I am interested in contacting biomaterials / biomedical devices
>manufacturers that can give shape to personalized designs in a variety
>of materials (either bioactive or biocompatible).
>Any help is extremely appreciated.
>Kind regards,
>Nuno Reis

Nuno,

I can't remember the name of the company, but you should be able to
look them up on the internet fairly easily. It is located in Boston,
and they are making replacement body parts out of living tissue. They
actually use some RP approaches in their process.

Basically they create a scaffold out of a biodegradable material in
the shape of the missing body part, and then infuse the donors cells
into the scaffold. Over a period of time, the cells orient
themselves, and using the scaffold as a template, grow into the new
body part.

They have already been able to create ears and noses out of
cartilage, and are hoping that in the near future, they will be able
to grow more specialized pieces, such as heart valves, kidneys and
livers from the cells of the recipient.

Just think, in ten years (maybe sooner), are you sick of having to
give yourself insulin injections every day? Heck, just RP a new
pancreas and throw your syringes away! Years of smoking cigars
finally catch up with you? Forget the quadruple bypass, just order up
a new heart through the internet! In just a month, you'll be chasing
those interns around the Oval Office again, and actually be able to
keep up! Sorry ladies, we can't replace your husbands' brains just
yet... ;)

Bill Richards
         /| Virtual Concepts Design ...Where the Virtual |
        | | Becomes REAL! |
        | | 265 Village Circle Way, Apt. 28 |
        | | Manchester, NH 03102 |
        | | Phone:(603) 222-2261 |