RE: impact strength unit conversion

From: John Male (john.male@advent-comm.co.uk)
Date: Wed May 17 2000 - 18:22:29 EEST

Nigel,

While both the Izod and Charpy tests provide a measure of the energy absorbed in an impact test, the way in which the test piece is supported, and the dimensions of the sample and the notch in it are different. I do not believe that there is a direct correlation between the energy values obtained from each of the tests. The differences in the tests should be outlined in most mechanics books (e.g. Benham and Crawford - Mechanics of Engineering Materials).

I know this doesn't really help. If you are particularly interested in impact strength, the best thing to do might be to get identical samples made and test them using the same method.

John Male

Advent Communications Ltd
john.male@advent-comm.co.uk