Re: SLS part shifting

From: Frank Niebling (ni@terra.lft.uni-erlangen.de)
Date: Thu Jun 08 2000 - 19:03:11 EEST

Dear Drew,

we use a EOS M250 sintering machine for direct metal laser
sintering and we had recognised a shifting of up to 0.5 mm in the x-
y building plane during the building process. Further investigations
revealed, that the scanning device caused this error. The mirrors
inside seem to heat up and deform, depending on the laser power
and the duration of the illumination. We reduced the problem by
cooling this device now to a certain temperature.

Your problem could have a similar thermal cause. Hope this helps.

Bye,

Frank

Dipl.-Ing. Frank Niebling

Department of Manufacturing Technology