RE: Applications Improvements

From: Miller, Michael W (Mike.Miller3@PSS.Boeing.com)
Date: Fri Jun 09 2000 - 20:55:36 EEST

Thanks for the responses from Will, Tim and Brian (hope I didn't miss anybody),

My goal, Brian, is both... improve both speed and accuracy. Using outline, like Will said, really improves surface finish. I also think control over beam offset is improved resulting in a more accurate part. Using an increased laser power coupled with the wider scan spacing reduces fill scan time significantly. It also allows the operator to adjust the strength of the inside of the part independently from the outside surface... excepting horizontal surfaces. 3D Systems' software does allow the user control over up-facing and down-facing surfaces. While this may not be possible with the DTM's, tilting the part so there aren't any horizontal surfaces will somewhat accomplish the same thing.

Laser-on and laser-off could probably be adjusted to better optimize the fill since we're not trying to control the surface finish of the part. I'll try the mylar and copy-file-to-scanner if I get a chance Tim.... you learn something every day. P.S. I knew those were the parameters but I couldn't remember the names at the time... really;) Unfortunately, because it is a raster scan, the best values probably vary as a function of part cross section. Brian and Mary, would you suggest any change for improved laser on/off numbers for this situation?

And, I didn't know there was an outline scan speed setting. Ideally, if I could increase the scan speed to the point of keeping the laser at 9-10 watts, that would eliminate some of the delay while the laser changes power, unless the delay is mostly caused by "loading scanner" when switching from fill to outline. There must be a maximum recommended scan speed for outline though. What might that be?

One more software improvement suggestion for the next release. Perhaps the non-linear scaling should be a function of distance from the top of the build rather than the bottom... Z height. I'm guessing but I think that the farther a part is buried, the more it tends to shrink thus requiring a slightly greater scale value. Rather than a function of Z, perhaps use (build-height minus Z).

Disclaimer: Engineer and out the other!
I've already told you more than I know.
Michael W Miller (michael.w.miller@boeing.com)
The Boeing Company M/C 17-PE B-2T65
Propulsion Experimental Hardware 206-655-3289
Rapid Prototyping 655-4366 Lab 655-4365