Points to NURBS Reverse Engineering

From: Rob Bannerman (rbanner@paraform.com)
Date: Wed Aug 09 2000 - 18:58:14 EEST

Reply to: Daniel Anderson

We at Paraform have tools that will allow you to create Surfaces from your
STL data. These surfaces can be exported to UGv16 as Surface or Solid
geometry. We also have a means of reading in large surface models as
tesselated geometry to serve the needs of users like yourself. The
tesselated geometry can be repurposed to feed the data into packages like
Ansys using our patented PolyStructure process which allows users to create
multi-resolution Polygonal patches within the boundaries defined by the user
and export the mesh information as a stitched quad or an STL file. If
simpler surfaces need to be created for export purposes, this can be done
automatically from our structured polygonal meshes. We are the selected
partner of UG for reverse engineering applications (please refer to UG's
website for details or we can provide you with UG's press release on this)
and our data seamlessly imports into UG as sheet bodies or solids depending
on the type of geometry that is exported.

Rob Bannerman
Application Engineer
PARAFORM, INC.
http://www.paraform.com
408-855-4304

------------
To all:

Our goal is to incorporate CT data of a human femur and electronic geometry
(i.e., orthopaedic hip stems and instrumentation) into a CAD file or a
finite element model. Prior to importing the geometry into a finite element
package (ANSYS v5.5) several positioning and boolean operations need to be
performed. But, due to the complex geometry of the femur, we have not found
a way to effectively export complete IGES surface geometry. We are able to
export the geometry in an STL format and we have been able to import these
STL files into our CAD software (Unigraphics v16), but only as
"disassociated bodies", which won't allow boolean operations.

We are looking for a method to convert the STL files into an operable solid
body or FEA model, or some other process that will get us from CT data into
Ansys. Your suggestions would be appreciated.

Daniel Anderson