Re: hobbiest rp machine?, Why not by hand?

From: martti.huolila@benefon.fi
Date: Mon Sep 25 2000 - 16:58:21 EEST

Bob and The Lists

With the risk of stating something too trivial for anybody else to bother I
can't resist the temptation. And not to put down any other method for creating
look-alike items.

The main purpose for using RP-parts for us is to verify the cad-model. There are
other reasons as well.

This task can be fulfilled only by "printing" from file. Any, even the most
exact hand made, model that is not a repeatable production of the cad-file won't
do the job. Machining, hand crafting and such are very good methods for consept
models or testing some mechanical details and should always be concidered when
an RP part is ordered but do not replicate the file in all cases.

One of the problems with hand made prototypes is too much understanding of the
purpose of the part. The prototype may and up being perfect even from imperfect
documents.

Much like a test for recruiting EE's had a task to build a circuit with a LED in
it. You were supposed to illuminate the LED with the circuit, and the selected
engineer did. It took a mech. engineer (who could not have completed the task,
there was more to it) to notice that the LED on the scheme was drawn backwads
and if built after the drawing would not illuminate. The EE's that inspected the
task only noted there is a LED and knew what to do with it. It took a less
experienced manufacturing agent who needed to refer to drawings how to actually
solder the part in place.

Martti Huolila
R&D Engineer (Mech)

Benefon Oyj