Re: thermojet problem

From: Allan E W Rennie (allan.rennie@bcuc.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Sep 27 2000 - 20:59:25 EEST

Elaine,

I was after this very same information a couple of months ago. Our ThermoJet was
producing wavy parts in the z-plane - i.e. not building up the layers
consistently. So instead of letting the build continue and wasting the wax, we
aborted. This happened continually for at least 10 builds (we tried various
things - orientation, rearrangements of parts etc....to make sure that it wasn't
a problem in the files).

Eventually got 3D Systems in to look at it, and they didn't know what the
problem was. Three service engineers and two weeks later, the problem was
rectified.

Still haven't really had an answer to what went wrong. Maybe someone else here
did get an answer.

During this time though, and once the waviness problem was corrected, wax
deposits seemed to appear at various locations in the interior of the machine.

It seems to be working fine now.

I have images of the mess that was made, but have not attached them as a matter
of courtesy to those that may not be interested in this. If you would like them
sent to you (about 0.5MB total), just ask.

Allan.

P.S. Sorry 3D - bad press not intended. I still like the idea of the process.

Elaine Hunt wrote:

> What produces a wavy part on the Thermojet? Any solutions?
>
> Elaine

> Opinions, suggestions, and other controversial matter VOID where prohibited.
> Albert Einstein said "if you want to become a genius, read fairy tales.
> If you want to become even smarter, read more fairy tales."
> Elaine T. Hunt, Director elaine.hunt@ces.clemson.edu
> Laboratory to Advance Industrial Prototyping
> Clemson University 206 Fluor Daniel Bldg.
> Clemson, SC 29634-0925
> 864-656-0321 (voice) 864-656-4435 (fax)
> http://www.vr.clemson.edu/credo/persall/persall.html
> http://www.vr.clemson.edu/rp/
> http://www.vr.clemson.edu/credo/rp.html

Allan E W Rennie
Research Engineer
Centre for Rapid Design and Manufacture
Buckinghamshire Chilterns University College
Queen Alexandra Road
High Wycombe
Bucks HP11 2JZ

Tel: +44 (0)1494 605085 Fax: +44 (0)1494 538593 Email: allan.rennie@bcuc.ac.uk