RE: best solid modeler

From: James Carruthers (jim@hydraulicdesign.net)
Date: Sat Oct 07 2000 - 04:43:57 EEST

Hi,

I'm pretty sure that any application can create a perfectly acceptable STL
file, barring egregious bugs. An STL is just a mesh--and a rather crude one
at that, I notice that an STL is much bigger than the same thing in .3ds,
which stores additional 'smoothing' and texture mapping info--and how to fit
a mesh to mathematically generated geometry was figured out eons ago. It's
just a matter of finding what settings produce the desired result, which can
vary depending on the range of options given and the topography of your
model. Maybe one app might by default have more efficient settings, or offer
easier control, but that's it. And I'm sure a lot of them use the exact same
tesselation routines, part of the OpenGL api. No, that doesn't mean the
meshing is 'hardware accelerated,' though I suppose it does mean it's
possible.

Jim
James Carruthers
Hydraulic Design