Re: elastomeric models

From: Timothy J. Gornet (tim.gornet@louisville.edu)
Date: Sat Nov 04 2000 - 00:23:45 EET

Larry, it depends on what you mean by elastomeric. The DSM folks have a SOMOS material that runs in SLS equipment that is great for gaskets/flexible parts. I "believe" it is "similiar" to DuPont's thermoplastic elastomer Hytrel. Don't know for sure though. It is usually infilitrated with a urethane afterwards to make it air/water tight and to add color. I would check with a service bureau that runs it. I know that David Leigh at Harvest Technologies does, and I am sure the others that watch this list will contact you as well.

Below is DTM's web site with some pics and a material spec sheet to see if it would for you. DTM probably has a list of SOMOS users as well

http://www.dtm-corp.com/products/somos201.html

Good luck.
Tim

Tim Gornet Computer Aided Engineering Consultant
INTERNET: tim.gornet@louisville.edu
SLUGNET: Vogt Bldg. Rm 101, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY 40292
PHONENET: (502)852-0714 FAXNET: (502)852-8890
Rapid Prototype Facility

>>> Larry Carlberg <lcarlberg@conceptualengineering.com> 11/03/00 04:00PM >>>
Our company has a need to produce prototype models using elastormeric
material. I was told that Dupont makes such a resin. Does anyone know of
a company that has this capability in house?
Best regards,
Larry Carlberg