Re: What's in a name........?

From: Marshall Burns (Marshall@Ennex.com)
Date: Wed Nov 15 2000 - 23:28:44 EET

Thanks, Erkut, for your support. I said in my earlier e-mail that there were a few people using the term "fabbers," and I'm glad somebody has chimed in to show that it's true.

Just one minor point I'd argue. It is not impossible to change the name from what most people currently use. This is because the "most people" we are talking about today are a tiny fraction of the number of people that will be involved in where this technology is going. Most of *those* people have still never heard of RP or SFF or 3-D printers or fabbers. For them we can call it whatever we want and it will be new to them. All we have to do is show them that it will make them richer or happier or sexier if they get involved, and they won't care what we call it.

The name of this industry is going to be decided by whoever raises the most money to promote it. Or maybe by somebody who figures out a really cool guerilla marketing strategy that doesn't take that much money. The only thing I know for sure is that my mother will never buy something called a "rapid prototyping machine."

Best regards,
Marshall Burns
President, Ennex Corporation

Marshall@Ennex.com