RE: What's in a dimension?

From: Anshuman Razdan (razdan@asu.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 16 2000 - 00:50:35 EET

Larry
        Your point is well taken. In my email -- I said "most" and hence I had the
escape hatch..but that aside...I think the topic of faceted approach raises
its ugly head again and again. Triangles are the least common denominator
for representing 3D shape and hence difficult to get away from. It is
interesting that you mention different CAD systems have the original data so
why go to faceted representation. For those of us who have dealt with IGES
files from different sources that contain free form surfaces its clear that
different Solid Modelers have different interpretation/representation of
many of the free form surfaces including blends, etc. The problem gets
complicated when translating objects from one system to another. There has
to be a translation of some sort unless we can come up with the post script
equivalent in 3D so standard print drivers can be written for the CAD
systems.

AR