Re: health concerns

From: EdGrenda@aol.com
Date: Fri Nov 17 2000 - 19:25:53 EET

<< Please can anybody give me information on health concerns with
 Nylon powder used in the laser sintering Process.

 I use this powder on a daily basis and I am concerned that it may have an
adverse
 affect on my health.

 My questions are has anyone done any kind of study on this or been affected
by this powder in anyway?

 I take all the precautions I can with masks and overalls but feel that this
is not enough, the powder is so light and fine that it gets every where and
then it is blown around by the Air-conditioning units all day.

 Any information on this would be appreciated

 Thanks

 Mark

Hi Mark:

This is a complex question because fine aerosols can be a health problem
under certain circumstances, but it depends on a large number of parameters
(material, shape, number and size of particles, etc., etc.). In the past
there have been concerns about toner for laser printers and photocopying
machines, and I believe there are EPA specs on the number and size of
particles that are allowed to be emitted from these devices.

A quick check in our bibliography database turned up only one paper on safety
by Stephen Deak in the RPJ in 1999. I suspect that one mainly covers SLA.
Here's the reference:

Title Safe work practices for rapid prototyping Author Deak, Stephen M.
Source Rapid Prototyping Journal. v 5 n 4 1999. p 161-163. Abstract Key
issues for rapid prototyping laboratory safety are discussed. It considers
health and safety awareness, a health and safety plan of action a health and
safety follow-up. A conference discussion summary is presented. XX

I would do the following:

1) Get in touch with DTM and EOS to see what materials they might have ready
access to, especially any internal docs concerning their specific materials
they may be willing to share with customers and interested parties. You may
have to sign a non-disclosure.

2) Call the EPA and OSHA (or first maybe take a look at their web sites).
It's likely they can provide you with specific recommendations for safety
and/or have specific written requirements that can be used to guide you.
Also, they may provide you with access to deep library resources on the
subject and other leads.

3) Do a library search for books on aerosol safety. The plastic industry has
had to deal with this forever, so there's probably whole chapters about it in
safety books. This material can be turned up in a college library or a large
public library.

4) Do a quick search in the Compendex, Applied Science and Technology Index
(ASTI), Academic Index. (Often available at local engineering universities.)
 The likely situation is that studies of something similar to SLS materials
can be found, but maybe not the exact materials. Still, this will give you
an idea of the hazards, if any.

My GUESS is that with the personal precautions you are taking, things should
be OK, but true peace of mind is probably going to require some active
research on your part.

Regards,

Ed Grenda
Castle Island Co.