Re: Z process

From: Marshall Burns (Marshall@Ennex.com)
Date: Thu Dec 07 2000 - 22:39:21 EET

> The question I have is about the materials that can be used. I understand
that the powder is a kind of starch or floor. The binder makes the
connection between the grain. To what extent is the prototype a functional
prototype? Can the parts be used with
> high temperatures (120 C)? Is it possible that real engineering plastics
can be used in the future or metals (like in the SLS process)?

Dear Bas Cornelissen,

    What you are calling the "Z process" is really one commercial
implementation of the 3DP process invented at MIT. It is the same process
that is used by Soligen, Extrude-Hone, Therics, and other licensees of the
process. Soligen uses it to make ceramic shells for investment casting.
Extrude Hone uses it to make metal items. So the answer to your question is
definitely, "Yes," this process can be used with a broad variety of
materials.

Best regards,
Marshall Burns
President, Ennex Corporation