Internet conference open for business

From: Ian Gibson (igibson@hkucc.hku.hk)
Date: Sat Dec 09 2000 - 04:24:12 EET

Dear All

I invite you all to take part in the latest Internet conference on Rapid
Prototyping.

This is the third such conference that aims to foster discussion on the
'Future of RP', and try to establish where this exciting technology is headed.

A number of experts from around the world have contributed position papers.
These papers state the opinions of the authors in relation to fields where
they have considerable knowledge. However, this doesn't necessarily mean
that they are right, that there is only one answer, and that you must agree
with them. I hope therefore that these papers encourage you to respond.

To do so, point your web browser at

http://www.rapid-discussion.com/

and follow the link to the Internet Conference. From there you can view the
papers and log into the discussion area. You must register in order to take
part in the discussion.

So far, we have papers on color RP, Medical RP, RP for Direct Manufacture,
RP in art and conceptual design, Functional Gradient RP methods, and
Integrated RP systems.

We are awaiting papers on Napster Fabrication - Web delivery of physical
models, RP in architecture, and Reverse Engineering. I will make a further
announcement when those papers arrive.

Finally, I would like papers on Rapid Tooling, concentrating separately on
low volume applications and production grade tooling. Unfortunately, the
auhtors who were originally going to write papers in those areas have
pulled out, so I would like to invite anyone else to contribute papers on
these important subject areas.

There is plenty of time. The conference will carry on for at least 2 months
from now. I hope you find it interesting and useful.

I would like to thank Travis Behara, owner of the Rapid-Discussion web
site, for allowing me to run this conference. He has put in a lot of effort
over the last month to set it up.

IG

Dr. Ian Gibson
Associate Professor
Dept. Mechanical Engineering
The University of Hong Kong
tel: +852 28597901
fax: +852 28585415
email: igibson@hkucc.hku.hk

I've been here and I've been there and I've been in between.