RE: Internet conference update

From: Anshuman Razdan (razdan@gloo3d.com)
Date: Fri Dec 22 2000 - 04:54:36 EET

I would like to see how many people are moving away from the traditional
NURBS modeling to Subdivision surfaces. The popularity of subdivision
surfaces will certainly have an impact in free form surface design perhaps
not as much in the traditional mechanical design but elsewhere. What are the
popular CAD software where subdiv surfaces are being actively used for
design. Has any one in the RP group actively taken designing that way? If
yes, what are your experiences.

Leading from this are other related topics such as Reverse Engineering with
subdivision surfaces. This is area of current academic research and
interest. However, much needs to be developed but if subdivision surfaces
are to eventually replace NURBS (and I am by no means implying that they
will).

If there is interest in this subject I would like to explore making it part
of Ian's conference. How do RE software developers feel about this and what
are they doing to respond to the needs of animators who particularly seem to
like modeling with subdiv surfaces.

Thoughts, comments and debate is welcome

AR

Dr Anshuman Razdan,
Director PRISM
MC 5906, GWC 574