Re: Thin Wall Casting

From: Gervasi, Vito (gervasi@msoe.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 05 2001 - 17:54:28 EET

Al,

We may be able to help you get to a metal composite casting. We have
never tried such a thin wall before but it should work with our process.
We may be able to run a small test sample if you are interested.
Another approach is centrifugal investment casting...I'm not sure what
the minimal wall thickness is (used for dental implants). Also, are you
sure you don't want to form sheet metal to create the geometry?

Good Luck, and please let me know if you find a source for very thin
walled castings.

Vito Gervasi
414-277-4550

AHastbacka@aol.com wrote:

We have a customer who would like to make a 3 inch by 5 inch by 3/4 inch

eggcrate structure. The openings inside this structure are one inch in
size.
The part has a peripheral wall that is 0.025 inches thick with the
interior
walls having a thickness of 0.008 inches. We can make the pattern with
the
Sanders Rapid ToolMaker, but we are trying to find a source that could
cast
this type of structure in aluminum or titanium.
Note: The wall thickness of 0.008 inches is the real driving
requirement.

Regards,
Al Hastbacka
Sanders Design