Re: stainless steel casting

From: martti.huolila@benefon.fi
Date: Fri Jan 12 2001 - 09:02:03 EET

Dear "es" and all,

Could it be that you were asked about "MIM" Metal Injection Molding.

It is a technique where small metal particles are injection molded with a
        plastic substrate in seminormal conditions. The parts are the placed in
        about 1300 Centicrade oven for some time. The plastic melts away leaving
        some 9x,xx% metal part that has shrunk 20-30%.

They do this in stainless steel, Titanium etc.

It is a good method for serial production of large volumes of relatively small
        (diam under 2") parts.

As Iäm no expert on this method all corrections are welcome.

Martti Huolila
R&D Engineer (Mech)

Benefon Oyj
P.O. Box 84 (Meriniitynkatu 11)