Re: Summary of ThermoJet wax removal

From: Steven Adler (adler@a3dm.com)
Date: Fri Feb 02 2001 - 20:06:51 EET

Glenn

I just saw photos of jewelry models made on a Thermo-Jet that look really
rough. I am sure that it would take quite a bit of work to get them cleaned
up. The Solidscape ( Sanders Prototype ) MMII also leaves a generally
unsuitable surface finish for a jewelry master model as well. Both of these
machines are great...to a point. If you are willing to put in the extra man
hours in post processing and can tolerate the inherent imperfections that
the human processes create.

The accuracy of my RTM system creates a superior surface finish that can be
invested and/or molded with little or no clean up. The models that I produce
might cost a little more up front but, I am sure that it saves hours of hand
labor that costs too that are rarely calculated.

As for methods, may I suggest also that you try the following materials for
clean up as well

bronze wool ( never steel )
nylon stockings ( great light abrasive )
Glazing technique using a Wax Pen with a small wire insert

good luck

Steven Adler CEO
Automated 3D Modeling
adler@a3dm.com