Block of modeling foam?

From: Marshall Burns (Marshall@Ennex.com)
Date: Sun Feb 04 2001 - 03:51:17 EET

Dear RP-Listers

    I've been trying to find something for several months, and I suddenly realized I've got the world's experts on it right here. Since we don't do a lot of (i.e., any) foam modeling here at Ennex, I don't have the sources for this.

    I need a few blocks of modeling foam, about 12 x 12 x 24 inches each. Should be light enough density for an unskilled model maker to carve easily. I've tried all kinds of commercial and industrial foam distributors, but I haven't found the right stuff. But I know it's out there. Obviously I just haven't found the right sources.

    Those of you who have seen my recent "Atoms from Bits" presentation may recognize that this is for the part of my talk where I let audience volunteers demonstrate the meaning of subtractive, additive, and formative fabrication. The blocks of foam I've procured for this so far have been far from satisfactory.

    I would appreciate it if people could refer me to sources in the US, preferably with Web sites, for blocks of modeling foam of that size and density.

    Thank you.

Best regards,
Marshall Burns
President, Ennex Corporation