3D announces purchase of Optoform -Reply

From: Michelle Wyatt (mwyatt@dsmdesotech.com)
Date: Wed Feb 14 2001 - 23:50:27 EET

Mark,
This past December, DSM Somos hosted a Technology Focus meeting that was targeted on new materials development. The presentations included one given by Optoform on their process. As a result of this meeting, we created a compact disc that contains all of the information from the Technology Focus. I would be happy to send a copy of the CD to you, or anyone else on the rp-ml list, who is interested in learning more about this technology.

Michelle Wyatt
Account Manager
DSM Somos(R)
Two Penn's Way, Suite 401
New Castle, DE 19720
Tel: 302-328-8537
Fax: 302-328-5693

>>> "Mark Wynn" <mwynn@yazaki-na.com> 02/14/01 09:02am >>>
Does anyone have any additional information about this technology?
Or a web site?

Thanks

VALENCIA, Calif., Feb. 12, 2001 - 3D Systems Corp. (Nasdaq: TDSC) today announced the purchase of high-tech French developer OptoForm SARL. The acquisition of OptoForm is expected to enhance 3D Systems' ability to offer complete solutions for short- to medium-run direct manufacturing and rapid tooling applications.

OptoForm's technology allows the use of non-liquid photocurable materials. Their current installed machines use ceramics, metals, paste or various other composites. By incorporating this technology into its existing base, 3D Systems expects to broaden the functionality of its current and future lines of product offerings.

"Our purchase of OptoForm opens up a whole new realm of opportunities in rapid tooling and direct manufacturing applications, which we see as the future of this industry," said Brian K. Service, president and chief executive officer of 3D Systems. "As we integrate the technology, we expect to gain significant process advantages in our solid imaging systems."

Service added, "In order to facilitate an immediate market impact, 3D Systems is currently in discussions with materials partners who posses intellectual property in non-liquid and composite materials."

Andre-Luc Allanic, Ph.D., and Jean-Phillipe Schaeffer, Ph.D., have worked in the development of rapid prototyping and manufacturing machines for several years and founded OptoForm in 1997. The technology uses advanced hardware, which incorporates a highly sophisticated recoating system and a multi-blade approach to processing the glass- and metal-filled materials. These properties allow for the production of parts with the additional impact strength, durability and accuracy necessary for a wide range of direct manufacturing solutions.

About 3D Systems

3D Systems provides solid imaging products and services that substantially reduce the time and cost required to design, test and manufacture products. The company's systems utilize patented technologies that create physical objects from digital input.

3D Systems currently offers the ThermoJet® office printer and SLA® industrial systems, which include proprietary software and materials. Product pricing in the U.S. begins at $49,995 for the company's entry-level printer and extends up to $799,000 for its feature-rich industrial SLA system. The company also licenses the 3D Keltool® process, a complementary application that produces injection molding and die casting inserts from SLA system master patterns.

Based in Valencia, Calif., 3D Systems was founded in 1986 and is recognized as the world technology and market leader in solid imaging. For additional information, visit the company's website at www.3dsystems.com or phone (661) 295-5600, ext. 2882 or toll-free (888) 337-9786, ext. 759. For an investor packet, call the company's shareholder communications service at (858) 431-7933 or toll-free (800) 757-1799.

Note to editors: ThermoJet, SLA, Keltool and the 3D logo are registered trademarks of 3D Systems.

Except for the historical information contained in this news release, the matters discussed include forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties including: the availability and acceptance of products, including the availability and acceptance of direct manufacturing solutions, the impact of competitive products and pricing, dependence on key personnel and suppliers, industry-wide domestic and international economic conditions, and other risks detailed in the company's SEC reports including its annual report on Form 10-K for the year ended Dec. 31, 1999, and its quarterly reports on Form 10-Q for the quarters ended March 31, June 30 and Sept. 30, 2000.

Mark Wynn
Yazaki North America Inc.
Canton, Michigan
Phone: 734-983-1702