Re: scale and warpage of sls

From: Liquid Plastic Solutions (paul@liquidplasticsolutions.com)
Date: Sun Apr 01 2001 - 20:12:23 EEST

Michael,

Unfortunately warp and or curl is the nature of the beast when dealing with
heat sintered materials. The trick is to keep the vectors as short as
possible. This may mean you have to build in some rather unusual
orientations. It sounds like you build in rather thick sections to start
with which is unfortunate. The short vectors prevent excess heat build up
in the sintered material and result in less internal stress along very long
vectors. A 7 inch vector will shrink more in aggregate than a 1/4 inch
vector. thus pulling on the previous layers which are already warmed close
to the materials glass transition. Your idea of using the "web and flange
philosophy will definately help as it will break up the vectors. As for
stiffness, you should see a comperable result if the webs and gussets are
designed properly. With regard to non-linear scaling factors, they do
exist, but they tend to be developed through trial and error based on
operating parameters, type of material run and wall thickness. So break out
your calipers and start measuring.

Hope this helps a little.

Paul Jaeger
Liquid Plastic Solutions