Re: Scanning an aircraft

From: Rob Browne (robbrowne@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Apr 03 2001 - 09:45:38 EEST

Wayne:

Look into using plaster impregnated gauze strips. They used to be used for
plaster casts on broken limbs. They're now used by sculptors (like me) for
a variety of quick, sturdy mold procedures. The strips are available in a
variety of widths from rolls of only 2 inches to full sheets.

The strips are cut to manageable lengths, dipped into water, pulled through
the thumb and forefinger to remove most of the water, then placed against
the surface and rubbed with a finger to help fill the voids between gauze
threads.

Successive strips are layered over others, building as thick as necessary.
(I rarely need more than 3 layers.) It's also possible to brush plaster
over the last layer to strengthen it a bit more. Finally, if additional
stiffening is necessary to prevent warping, the mold can be strengthened
with rods attached with the same gauze

You can find the "plaster gauze" in art and medical supply houses. I can
give you specific sources if you wish.

Good Luck,

Rob Browne, sculptor
75 Arbor Road