Re: changing the rp-ml

From: Bathsheba Grossman (sheba@protoshape.com)
Date: Thu Apr 26 2001 - 20:58:10 EEST

On Thu, 26 Apr 2001, jim quinn wrote:
> I do not understand why it costs $2K for a list.

I have to agree, what would we be paying that for? Many ISP's host lists
as part of their basic service, or for a minimal fee, plus there are
services such as Yahoo Groups which do it for free if you put up with a
little advertising.

> There are about 1800 people subscribed. For a single
> location, 3d+dtm represent the largest group. Maybe
> they should offer the majordomo. Or...one of the
> large universities should offer the majordomo.

I would prefer that 3D Systems, or any other manufacturer, not host the
list. While I'm confident that they would be able to resist the
temptation to moderate it, is there any point in running the risk? I
would be comfortable with a university hosting it.

Here's my bid: if any person or combination of people gives me $250, I'll
arrange hosting of this list in a reliable, sustainable, ad-free
environment for one year.

Anyone want to go lower?

> all MIME attachments and HTML code.

Amen to that. This list delivers a ridiculous number of viruses, and
that simply shouldn't happen.

-Sheba
Bathsheba Grossman (831) 429-8224
Creative prototyping www.protoshape.com