Re: End of service / changing the rp-ml

From: Bathsheba Grossman (sheba@protoshape.com)
Date: Thu Apr 26 2001 - 23:54:39 EEST

On Thu, 26 Apr 2001, Delft Spline Systems wrote:
> It was foreseeable than Hannu's email would generate a
> lot of list-traffic. What I had not foreseen is the current major
> discussion topic: how to administer the list cheaper than the
> proposed USD 2000 a year.
>
> My question to these contributors is to reconsider (or, in
> other words: SHAME ON YOU !!). Observing the effort that
> it has taken over the past years to keep this list up and alive,
> and Hannu's patience in solving all types of errors, in my
> opinion this is a very low offer already. Most of it will just
> be the actual cost of the Internet server and traffic, without
> much left as financial thanks for the time spent.

Actually, mailing lists are minimal work to administer, and the ISP
services required to maintain them are not expensive. I based my
offer on the cost of getting a shell account at Panix, which is a very
reliable ISP, and hosting the list at their majordomo, plus a few
hours of billable setup time. This would come with web-searchable
archives.

I'm sorry if Hannu has had a great deal of work keeping the list up,
but that isn't a normal state of affairs, especially for a list of the
very moderate size and activity that we have here.

In the worst case, if my offer isn't taken up, and nobody else wants
to do it, and there is danger of the list disappearing, I'm happy to
do the small amount of work involved to set rp-ml up on a free
service, for nothing. It would be more classy for it to be hosted on
a for-pay basis, and it can be done quite cheaply, but if people don't
want to pay anything at all, then you don't have to.

Hello? This is the Internet. Exchanging information here is cheap
and easy, no reason to make a mountain out of a molehill.

-Sheba
Bathsheba Grossman (831) 429-8224
Creative prototyping www.protoshape.com
Microsculpture microsculpture.com