Re: changing the rp-ml? No way!!!

From: Bathsheba Grossman (sheba@protoshape.com)
Date: Fri Apr 27 2001 - 21:24:17 EEST

On Fri, 27 Apr 2001, Elaine Hunt wrote:
> At 01:06 PM 4/26/01 -0400, jim quinn wrote:
> >Everyone -
> >
> >I do not understand why it costs $2K for a list.
> >This has never popped up in any of the other lists
>
> Whether you see the cost or not it is there.

I'm sorry but this is just not true. It might cost that much to get a
dedicated server for this list, but that is not necessary. Mailing
list services are cheap and plentiful, and this list has no bizarre or
high-demand features that make it unsuitable to live on one of them.

I'm happy and grateful if Hannu is keeping the list; except for the
attachments the status quo is fine; I have no desire to take it away
from him. But I don't understand the insistence that it requires so
much expense.

Indeed, a perfectly adequate replacement has already been set up for
free. I thought that move was jumping the gun a bit, but it certainly
does make the point.

-Sheba
Bathsheba Grossman (831) 429-8224
Creative prototyping www.protoshape.com