In Search Of the Silver Bullet

From: Elaine Hunt (ehunt@ces.clemson.edu)
Date: Tue May 08 2001 - 17:24:12 EEST

>NEXT-GENERATION TECHNOLOGIES
>In Search Of the Silver Bullet
>Meet five modern pioneers who are using technology in their quest to slay
>some of the world's most fearsome problems, from leukemia to pollution.
>
>Mon May 14 00:00:00 EDT 2001
>
>How much time and energy do people spend worrying about the ills the world
>will face in the next 50 years? Impossible to know, but clearly the answer
>is--a lot. Protesters rant monthly, it seems, about the effects of
>international trade on the environment. News outlets spill gallons of ink
>over this health crisis or that, the future of Social Security, greenhouse
>gases.
>
>Wringing hands over such issues is easy. But doing something about
>them--forging the "silver bullets" that will make the world's persistent
>problems go away--is another matter altogether. To get an idea of what
>such single-minded efforts re-quire, FORTUNE paid visits to five
>in-the-trenches innovators, each on the verge of what could be a
>breakthrough discovery. Carl Deckard is working on a new low-emissions
>engine; Brian Druker, a high-precision drug to combat leukemia; Pete
>Kight, electronic currency; James Heath, a next-generation computer
>processor; and Charles Arntzen, a vaccine cheap enough to immunize the
>people of developing countries against hepatitis B.
>
>As a group, the five have spent almost 70 years trying to solve their
>problems. Parked in darkened basement laboratories and makeshift garage
>workshops, they've drawn on stores of extraordinary stamina and a
>superhuman tolerance for night after night of thankless toil. They've had
>to be stubborn: Inspiration hits every once in a while, but that doesn't
>mean anyone on the outside gets what they're doing. These five have
>agitated for attention and struggled to get funding, battling an endless
>parade of skeptics, competitors, and cynics. Their insights are usually
>laughed at before they're praised.
>
>They are also the first to admit that their solutions may not work. But in
>the search for the silver bullet, their doubts don't matter. With plenty
>of determination and faith to cushion the ride, they know the solutions
>will come.
>--Eryn Brown
>
>The Little Engine That Could, Maybe
>Two-stroke engines are the cockroaches of the motorized world. You see
>them--and hear them and smell them--in products ranging from leaf blowers
>and lawn mowers in Beverly Hills to chain saws in Sweden to motorboats in
>Bolivia to millions of little motor scooters in China, India, and the
>Pacific Rim. While four-stroke automobile engines get most of the
>attention from regulators who set emissions standards, the little
>two-bangers have a greater impact on global pollution because there are so
>many of them and because they are noisy and noisome and less fuel
>efficient. One old two-stroke motor scooter in Beijing puts more pollution
> [...]

Opinions, suggestions, and other controversial matter VOID where prohibited.

It cost about 75 cents to kill a man in Ceasar's time.
The price rose to about $3,000 per man during the Napoleonic wars;
to $5,000 in the American Civil War; and then to $21,000 per man in World
War I.
Estimates for the future wars indicate that it may cost the warring
countries not
less than $50,000 for each man killed. Senator Homer T. Bone

Elaine T. Hunt, Director elaine.hunt@ces.clemson.edu
Laboratory to Advance Industrial Prototyping
Clemson University 206 Fluor Daniel Bldg.
Clemson, SC 29634-0925
864-656-0321 (voice) 864-656-4435 (fax)
http://www.vr.clemson.edu/credo/persall/persall.html
http://www.vr.clemson.edu/rp/