RE: Making a single STL file from Multiple parts.

From: Bathsheba Grossman (sheba@protoshape.com)
Date: Tue May 22 2001 - 09:09:14 EEST

On Mon, 21 May 2001, John Cline wrote:
> Rhinocerous also allows you to import several different ypes of file formats
> and then reexport all, many, or single objects in many different formats.
>
> However, I don't know whether Rhino would "crash" under the requirement of
> importing and aligning up to 200 files!

Rhino does not merge or boolean-union meshes in any way. It's a great
NURBS modeler, but it's not about mesh ops: it offers a viewer and
elementary triangle manipulation, and that's all.

The best software I've seen for merging meshes is FreeForm - it can
handle meshes that make Magics throw up its lunch. But for what they
charge, I'll probably never get to try it again.

Unioning meshes is, as far as I know, the outstanding unsolved
software problem in this business. The most promising approach I'm
aware of is that of slicing the mesh and then unioning the slices as
2D entities. Rhino is working on being able to do this, but it is not
there yet.

-Sheba
Bathsheba Grossman (831) 429-8224
Creative prototyping www.protoshape.com