RP at universities especially art schools/departments

From: Philip Galanter (pg1@acf2.nyu.edu)
Date: Thu May 24 2001 - 20:44:50 EEST

hi all, I've been reading this very useful list for a couple of weeks now.

I am looking into what it will take to support some form of rapid
prototyping service here at New York University. I'd be interested
in hearing from schools which provide such services for students and
researchers.

In particular I'd like to hear about use in creative programs such as
fine art and design. But experience from technical departments is
also appreciated.

Feel free to respond directly to me via e-mail if this info isn't
generally interesting.

Questions include:

What kind of department are you in?
What gear do you use?
Who gets to use it, and how is access controlled/approved?
Do you charge? How?
Is the output used directly or as part of a casting process?
What modeling software do you use?
Who supports the gear? A computing center? The academic department?
Any unexpected pluses discovered along the way?
Unexpected problems?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences!

Phil